via press release:
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ON FOX & FOX DEPORTES
POSTS BEST AUDIENCE IN FOUR YEARS
Juventus-Barcelona Match Produces Second-Best Champions League Final
Audience Ever For Both Channels
Champions League Final Was the Most Social Telecast of the Day
Vancouver, B.C. – The stage was set for a memorable UEFA Champions League Final on Saturday (6/6) when after months of play Italian giant Juventus and Spanish powerhouse FC Barcelona, two historically dominant clubs, met to determine Europe’s prestigious 2014-15 championship. At day’s end, it was Barcelona, led by goals from Ivan Rakitic, Luis Suarez and Neymar, with the 3-1 victory, earning its third title this season and fifth UEFA Champions League trophy. And in America, fans watched in English and Spanish.
FOX broadcast network provided the match’s English-language coverage and posted a 1.3 household rating with 2.2 million viewers according to Nielsen, which ranks as the second highest-rated and second most-watched UEFA Champions League Final ever, trailing only the 2011 edition which featured Barcelona and Manchester United (1.4, 2.6 million).
FOX Deportes’ Spanish-language coverage delivered 1.452 million viewers, and like FOX, the match was the second most-watched in the network’s history behind the 2011 UEFA Champions League Final (1.571 million).
The UEFA Champions League Final was also the most social telecast of the day. According to Nielsen Social Guide, the match telecasts combined to generate 1.130 million total tweets, well ahead of next closest program, the 147th Belmont Stakes which saw American Pharoah win thoroughbred racing’s first Triple Crown since 1978 (503,000 total Tweets).
FOX/FOX Deportes Combined highlights:
– Saturday’s telecasts combined to average 3.65 million viewers and peaked from 4:30-4:47 PM ET with 4.420 million.
Additional FOX highlights:
– The match rating is +18% over last year (1.1), and +16% in audience (1.9 million).
– Match audience peaked from 4:30-4:47 PM ET with 2.5 million viewers.
– UEFA Champions League telecasts this season on FOX Sports 1 averaged 355,000 viewers, +40% compared to last season (253,000).
FOX Deportes highlights:
– The match was the most-watched Spanish cable sports program for 2015 to-date.
– It ranks among the top five most-watched soccer matches all-time on Spanish language cable.
– Match audience was +19% compared to last year’s final.
– The match peaked in the last half hour (4:30-4:47 PM ET) with 1.920 million viewers.