via press release:
VH1 PRIMETIME RATINGS SOAR 33% AMONG ADULT 18-49 VIEWERS IN 2012
VH1 Finishes Year as the #1 Non-Sports Monday Cable Network in Primetime Among Women 18-34, Women 18-49, and Women 25-54
Total Viewers in Primetime Climb 14%, Powered by Original Series “Mob Wives,” “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta,” “Single Ladies,” “Couples Therapy,”
“T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle” and “Basketball Wives”
All VH1 Digital Screens Grow Exponentially; “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta” Ranks As #1 Most Social Non-Sports Series Of The Summer On All Television
NEW YORK, December 18, 2012 — VH1 closes the book on 2012 with an impressive +33% increase in primetime ratings in the adult 18-49 demo while scoring substantial double-digit growth among total viewers and women.
The music and pop culture network averaged a .4 in primetime in the adult 18-49 demo, compared to a .3 average for 2011.
VH1 also averaged 607,000 total viewers in primetime throughout the year – an increase of +14% vs. the average tally a year ago.
In addition, VH1 also finished 2012 with strong growth in the women 18-49 and the women 18-34 demos. VH1 finished the year as the #1 non-sports Monday cable network in primetime among women 18-34, women 18-49, and women 25-54. For the year, VH1 averaged a .5 in primetime among women 18-49 — up +25% vs. 2011, and a .6 among women 18-34 – up +20% compared to last year’s average rating.
VH1’s individual series highlights for the year include:
- The second season of “Mob Wives” finished at a .9 adult 18-49 Live+SD rating, up +13% from season 1. It finished with 1.5 million Total Viewers, up +15% from season 1. The series drove VH1 to the #1 cable network ranking among women 18-49 in its Sunday 8pm time period.
- “Love and Hip Hop: Atlanta” ranked as cable’s TOP reality series of the summer among adult 18-49 impressions and women 18-49 throughout the 12 weeks since its premiere on June 18th. Overall the series averaged 5 million total viewers during premieres plus first encores. Through all of its premiere episodes, “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta” averaged a 2.1 adult 18-49 Live+SD rating. On the social media front, “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” was the #1 most social non-sports series of the summer on all of television, cable and broadcast, according to Trendrr and SocialGuide.
- “Single Ladies” finished its second season on Monday, August 27 as ad-supported cable’s #1 regularly scheduled summer scripted series among women 18-49. Overall the series averaged 3.2 million total viewers during premieres plus first encores — up +10% from season 1. Through its first 12 premiere episodes, “Single Ladies” averaged a 1.4 P18-49 Live+SD rating — up +17% from season 1.
- The second season of “Couples Therapy” averaged 570,000 total viewers — up +33% from season 1.
- In 4th quarter, the second season of “Basketball Wives LA” averaged 2 million total viewers (Live+7) — up +18% over the total viewer average for season 1.
In 2012, VH1 also experienced exponential growth across all digital screens. On the social front, VH1 saw a 139% increase of Twitter followers and a 120% increase of fans of its various Facebook pages. Mobile usage grew across the board as well, including a 62% uptick in visitors and 170% uptick in streams. Additionally, VH1.com saw an audience increase with total streams up an impressive 13%.
Source: Nielsen Media Research; 12/26/2011 – 12/09/2012