via press release:
“MISS UNIVERSO 2011” (MISS UNIVERSE 2011) WATCHED BY MORE THAN 4 MILLION VIEWERS ON TELEMUNDO, UP BY DOUBLE DIGITS OVER 2010 IN KEY DEMOS
Broadcast Ranked as #1 Program in Miami, New York and Puerto Rico
MIAMI – September 14, 2011 – Telemundo’s broadcast of “Miss Universo 2011” on September 12 was up double digits compared to last year and delivered its best performance since 2007. The broadcast, in which Miss Angola was crowned Miss Universe 2011, ranked as the #1 program for its time period, regardless of language, in Miami, New York and Puerto Rico and was watched by more than 4 million total viewers and 2.2 million adults 18-49—the highest reach since 2007, according to Nielsen Media Research.
On average, “Miss Universo 2011” delivered nearly 1.9 million total viewers (persons 2+) and 1,017,000 adults 18-49. The pageant grew from the prior two years’ telecasts, up +16% year over year (1,896,000 vs. 1,636,000) among total viewers (persons 2+) and up +14% vs. last year’s telecast on August 23, 2010 among adults 18-49 (889,000).
In Miami, “Miss Universo 2011” was #1 in its time period on WSCV-TV among households, total viewers (persons 2+) and adults 18-49. “Miss Universo 2011” was the highest rated program for the entire day, regardless of language, among adults 18-49. It was also the highest delivery among adults 18-49 in Miami on WSCV-TV since the market went local people meters and the highest household delivery since 2005.
On New York’s WNJU-TV, “Miss Universo 2011” ranked #1 in the time period among adults 18-49. “Miss Universo 2011” was the highest rated program for the entire day, regardless of language, among adults 18-49. It also tied for the highest delivery in the last four years in New York on WNJU-TV among adults 18-49. The broadcast was #2 among total viewers (persons 2+) behind NBC.
On WKAQ-TV in Puerto Rico, “Miss Universo 2011” ranked #1 in the time period across all stations among total viewers (persons 2+) and adults 18-49. WKAQ-TV dominated its competitors by more than +70% among adults 18-49 and by nearly +50% among households.
“Miss Universo 2011” also grew year-over-year across key markets for Telemundo, including +22% among adults 18-49 and +5% among total viewers (persons 2+) in New York, +20% among total viewers (persons 2+) and +18% among adults 18-49 in Miami, +51% among total viewers (persons 2+) and +69% among adults 18-49 in Houston and +47% among total viewers (persons 2+) and + 37% among adults 18-49 in Dallas.
Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Live+SD, 9/12/11. Reach based on NPM fast cume, 6+ minute qualifier. Local: Nielsen NSI Live +SD.
Telemundo Communications Group, LLC & Subsidiaries (“Telemundo”), a division of NBCUniversal, is a world-class media company, leading the industry in the production and distribution of high-quality Spanish-language content across its multiplatform portfolio to U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world. Telemundo’s multiple platforms include Telemundo, a Spanish-language television network featuring original productions, theatrical motion pictures, news and first-class sports events, reaching 94% of U.S. Hispanic viewers in 210 markets through its 14 owned stations, 1 independent station (WKAQ in Puerto Rico), 46 broadcast affiliates, and over 1,000 cable affiliates; mun2, the preeminent voice for bicultural Hispanics in the U.S., reaching over 35 million U.S. TV households nationwide on digital and analog cable, and satellite; Telemundo Digital Media, which leverages Telemundo’s original content for distribution across digital and emerging platforms including mobile devices and http://www.telemundo.com and http://www.mun2.tv; and Telemundo Internacional, the company’s international distribution arm which has positioned Telemundo as the second largest provider of Spanish-language content worldwide by syndicating content to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.