If the sixth and final season of “House of Cards” goes forward, it will be without its star, Kevin Spacey.
Netflix and series producer Media Rights Capital issued statements Friday saying Spacey is off the show. Though the statements are worded somewhat differently — MRC says Spacey is “suspended indefinitely, Netflix says it’s cutting ties with him completely — both say he’s done with the show.
Netflix has also opted not to release a movie starring Spacey called “Gore,” a biopic of author Gore Vidal.
Production on the show was stopped earlier in the week after actor Anthony Rapp alleged Spacey had made a sexual advance on him in the 1980s, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey in his 20s. Several “House of Cards” crew members have subsequently come forward to accuse Spacey of inappropriate behavior on set.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of ‘House of Cards’ that includes Kevin Spacey.” Netflix’s statement reads. “We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film ‘Gore,’ which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”
MRC, for its part, says, “While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”
Earlier Friday, The Hollywood Reporter quoted a source saying “House of Cards'” producers were discussing ways to write Spacey’s character, Frank Underwood, out of the show for its final season. Netflix declined to comment on that possibility.